Minutes of Meeting September 24, 2015
Mike De La Haye, Wawanesa (Chair)
Pierre Gravesande, Economical
Janine Hedington, The Co-operators
Maria Joshua, Sedgwick
Patrick Lau, Travelers
Linda Watson, TD Insurance
Terri Urman, Unifund
Laurel Cutting, Unifund
Mike Sewerniuk, Aviva
Darryl Hurst, Aviva
Mary Meaney, Economical
Vicki Brindley, Assist Plus via teleconference
Carla Mancebo, TD Insurance via teleconference
Mark Cekuta, DGIG via teleconference
The Dispute Resolution Group – Companies Forum includes representative from auto insurance companies dealing with disputes before the Commission involving motor vehicle accident claims and Statutory Accident Benefits. It consults with the Dispute Resolution Group of Financial Services Commission of Ontario on issues relating to the dispute resolution system.
- Review and Approval of Minutes of Previous Meeting – May 28, 2015.
Approved with amendments.
Matters Arising from the Minutes
- DRS Report – Statistics and Staffing Updates
Asfaw Seife, Janine Macey and John Lobo provided statistical updates for Mediation, Arbitration and Appeals with reference to the reports distributed to members.
Updates since May 28, 2015 were provided in a memo from Asfaw Seife to Forum members and reviewed.
John Lobo advised that Ann Walker, Team Leader is returning to her Mediator position on September 28, 2015, at the conclusion of her current temporary assignment. Mediators that are reporting to this team leader position, will report to Manager, Mediation.
Janine Macey advised that recruitment for 2 arbitrators' positions is complete. Both arbitrators started in August 2015; arbitrators now at full complement.
Auto Insurance Dispute Resolution System (AIDRS) Project Update
Mr. Graham Boswell, Counsel, LAT-SLASTO provided a handout and brief update on the Auto Insurance Dispute Resolution System (AIDRS) Project, which included:
- The transfer of AIDRS to LAT-SLASTO.
- The Advisory Committee Support for this transformation and who the committee members are.
- That recruitment for new appointees to LAT is currently underway, with the first appointments expected in early 2016.
- Training provided to members of LAT and what additional training will be provided to adjudicators who will be working on AIDRS cases.
- An invitation and email address was provided to those interested in joining an email list to receive updates about the new AIDRS.
There was some discussion on previous advice/recommendations made to FSCO which were not implemented and which LAT may want to consider under their process.
Next Meeting – November 26, 2015